Year in Review
You did it.
You embraced virtual everything – classes, club meetings, career fairs, internships and graduations. Despite cancellations and postponed events, you found opportunities to learn and grow.
You held tight to the reins of your future and didn’t let go.
It's time to look back on this year's bright spots.
Every year, hundreds of students are awarded prestigious AICPA Legacy Scholarships funded by the AICPA Foundation. This year, 77 students also received financial support from the following brand-new scholarships launched in response to current events:
- AICPA Scholarship for Accounting Students in Minneapolis/St. Paul
- AICPA Foundation CPA Exam Scholarship
- AICPA COVID-19 Student Hardship Grant
Want to be considered for a 2021 AICPA Legacy Scholarship? Applications opened December 1 and close on March 1, 2021.
The path to CPA is a marathon worth running, and there's a whole community of experts excited to cheer you on. From CPA Exam tips to words of wisdom from the C-Suite, over 1K students learned valuable skills to prepare for a career in accounting. Check out this year's webinars:
- CPA Career Spotlight: Senior Auditor at Target
- Emerging Technology in the Accounting Profession
- The Evolving Accounting Profession
- CPA Career Spotlight Webinar: Forensic Accountants
- CPA Career Spotlight: FBI Forensic Accountant
- CPA Career Spotlight: Tax Accountant
- Pathway to CFO
- CPA Evolution: Reimagining CPA Licensure
- Getting Started with the CPA License
If you missed a webinar or need a refresher, check out this year’s webinars on-demand.
There are many stops on the way to CPA, and you navigated through them like a pro by taking direction from our top Need-to-Know News articles this year:
- Changes to the CPA licensure model are coming: The CPA Evolution initiative will transform the CPA licensure model to recognize rapidly changing skills and competencies.
- Stand out with sharp tech skills: Recruiters put tech ‘on par’ with accounting knowledge.
- Snagging an AICPA Legacy Scholarship:This year's timeline, plus an application checklist.
- How to develop your critical thinking: Three steps can help you improve how and why you make decisions.
- You asked, we listened: It is now possible to take the CPA Exam throughout the year with no blackout dates.
- Career prep 101: How to take advantage of your time in school.
Not subscribed to our monthly Need-to-Know News e-newsletter? You can opt in by editing your communications preferences under My Account or creating a ThisWaytoCPA.com account.
Six influential CPAs from all over the country took over the @ThisWayToCPA Instagram account for a day, and you followed them along to their home, office and even the local park:
Interested in following along in 2021? Follow us on Instagram to keep up.
Students poured their hearts out for our 2020 ThisWayToCPA Video Competition for which they submitted a two-minute or less video responding to one of these five accounting-related prompts:
- Who inspired you to be a CPA?
- What is an obstacle you have faced in your accounting journey and how have you overcome it?
- Provide an example about how a real CPA has made a positive impact.
- What is the most innovative or interesting thing that you have learned in an accounting course?
- Why do you want to become a CPA?
After a public vote, five of them walked away with $500 each to use however they wish.
We are so proud of all of your hard work this year and can’t wait to see what’s ahead!
-The AICPA Academic & Student Engagement Team