AICPA and CIMA logo

Bringing together

this way to CPA logo Start Here Go Places logo A.I.C.P.A. logo
Meet the Requirements

Getting to 150 credit hours

How will you earn your 150 hours?

Some people decide to complete all of the credit hours as an undergrad before seeking employment, while others opt to go into a master’s program to get the extra credits along with an advanced degree. Yet another option is to graduate with a typical four-year degree, start studying for the CPA exam right after graduation, and complete parts of the exam while taking classes at a community college – often while also getting experience hours in an accounting position.

Closing the Gap

Learn more about the ways that CPA Exam candidates can meet the 150 Hour requirement. 

Pursuing an advanced degree?

Advanced degree, advanced decision

Choosing the right grad school and master’s degree program

Beyond the bachelor’s degree: MAcc vs. MBA

Should you plan to get an advanced degree?

8 steps to land your top choice MAcc program

A checklist to rock your application and interview. 

What can your grad school do for you?

Grad school is a big commitment, so make sure you’ve asked all the right questions before you make the final decision.

More options for meeting the requirements

To obtain 150 semester hours of education, you do not necessarily have to get a master's degree. You can meet the requirement at the undergraduate level or get a bachelor's degree and take some courses at the graduate level, at a four-year university or a community college.