2021 Effective Learning Strategies Awards
Sponsor: AICPA / AAA
Open Date: Mar 01, 2021
Close Date: May 17, 2021
Close Time: 11:59 p.m.
The AICPA recognizes professors as champions of education and inspirers to thousands of college students. We are requesting professors submit their most innovative accounting course teaching techniques for the opportunity to earn an award. The winner may be an individual or group of individuals.
Congratulations! You are now on your way towards being considered for one of three awards. In order to be eligible for consideration, you must fully submit all materials electronically by Monday, May 17, 2021 at 11:59 PM.
Processes and Procedures
- Apply for the ELS Educator Awards program by uploading your independent submission through this portal.
- Select on the application the award you would like to be considered for.
- AICPA’s Academic Executive Committee ELS Educator Awards Task Force vets all submissions and will reach out their determinations by June 4, 2021
- Winners and honorable mentions are notified of next steps.
The winner(s) and honorable mention recipient(s), for each award category, will be asked to present their work at the following years American Accounting Association Conference on Teaching and Learning in Accounting (CTLA). The top finalist(s) is/are presented with a plaque and award prize totaling $5,000. Honorable Mention recipient(s) receive a $500 award and recognition at the CTLA Awards Luncheon.
Winning lessons and related materials for all AICPA educator awards are available for download through the Accounting Professor’s Curriculum Resource.
The AICPA recognizes professors as champions of education and inspirers to thousands of college students. We are requesting professors submit their most innovative accounting course teaching techniques for the opportunity to earn an award. The winner may be an individual or group of individuals. Preference will be given to changes in a content segment or a subset of skills rather than a programmatic or curricular change. There are three awards professors can apply for:
- Bea Sanders / AICPA Innovation in Teaching Award (recognizes teaching practices in the first sequence of accounting courses)
- George Krull / Grant Thornton Innovation in Teaching Award (recognizes successful innovative practices in the teaching of junior and senior-level accounting courses)
- Mark Chain / FSA Innovation in Graduate Teaching Award (recognizes exceptional graduate accounting course practices)
The AICPA’s Academic Executive Committee (EC) Teaching Innovation Task Force vets the submissions and selects a winner and honorable mentions for the three awards. They will use the following as their primary criteria to judge submissions:
- Ability to pique students’ interest in accounting as a career
- Adaptability for other education institutions or other situations
- Ability to enhance student learning and to help the student learn on his or her own
- Emphasis on the AICPA Core Competency Framework and its defined set of skill-based competencies
Electronic Materials Required
- If you will be uploading your video on the AAA's poster session site, you will not need to upload a video with your award application.
*Submission written in third person is preferable.
**The teaching practice may not be a commercial product for which the faculty member has financial interest.
***It is at the discretion of the judging committee to follow-up with any award applicant if additional information is required. Communication may be made through a video conference, phone call or email.
Have questions or need to reach someone on the Academics Team? You may reach us at email@example.com